Midjourney releases the first alpha version of the long-awaited V6 model.
AI-powered image generation tool Midjourney has released its latest version, Midjourney v6. The new version promises a number of improvements and new features aimed at improving the user experience and generating more realistic images. The new version is the result of nine months of hard work and research, the team
Some of the new features in Midjourney v6 include:
- Much more accurate prompt following as well as longer prompts
- Improved coherence, and model knowledge
- Improved image prompting and remix
- Minor text drawing ability
- Improved upscalers, with both ‘subtle’ and ‘creative’ modes (increases resolution by 2x)
Midjourney v6 will change
Some features that were previously available in Midjourney v5 are not yet supported in the first version of Midjourney v6. These include pan, zoom, vary (region), /tune, and /describe (a new feature in v6). However, these features are expected to be added over the next month.
The developers point out that Midjourney v6 is still in alpha testing and may change significantly in the future. Speed, image quality, coherence, real-time tracking, and text accuracy will be improved over the coming weeks – a first update has already more than doubled speed.
As Midjourney v6 can produce more realistic images than previous versions, the company has strengthened its moderation systems and intends to enforce its community standards more strictly.
Prompt scrap is no longer necessary
The team also recommends adjusting the prompting style compared to older versions and provides some tips:
- V6 is much more sensitive to your prompt. Avoid ‘junk’ like “award winning, photorealistic, 4k, 8k”
- Be explicit about what you want. It may be less vibey but if you are explicit it’s now MUCH better at understanding you.
- If you want something more photographic / less opinionated / more literal you should probably default to using –style raw
- Lower values of –stylize (default 100) may have better prompt understanding while higher values (up to 1000) may have better aesthetics
Midjourney V6 is available to all customers via Discord.